Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Bart Scott Talks

We’ve been quite pessimistic about the Jets since last year’s late-season collapse, the loss of Favre, the departure of Coles, and the head coaching change. We’re still thinking 6-7 wins is realistic for next season, but wins hardly matter in year one under a new coach and QB when you have mouthy LB Bart Scott to yap it up. He’s been a quote machine since talking about the “hot sauce” he put on Reggie Bush’s ankle in 2006, and even though he hasn’t played a down with the Jets, Scott’s already jawing with the Dolphins. Love it.

“Who said that?” asked Scott, when told of Crowder’s remarks. “Who’s Crowder? See, I never even heard of the guy. Can I get a bio? You have to give me some personnel reports before you throw names out. I don’t even know the guy.”

Scott’s outburst came in response to Crowder taking a jab at brash new Jets coach Rex Ryan.

“Oh, he’s going crazy,” Dolphins LB Channing Crowder told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. “He’s going absolutely nuts. I know it’s his first chance to be a head coach and I know he’s excited about life. But, like I said, I’ve never played a football game in June in my whole life. So congratulations to him. He’s the OTA (organized team activity), the OTA Super Bowl winner.”

We asked for a defensive-minded coach, and we got one. We’re already giving Sanchez a pass in year one - the lower expectations, the better. But the defense needs to be much improved.

Said Ryan: “I don’t know this Channing Crowder but he’s all tatted up. I guess I oughta be nervous about him. He’s right about one thing: I’m a first-year head coach. But I’ve been around the game all my life and I’m no different now than I’ve ever been. It’s just that more people are listening. The other thing is, I think he’s wrong because I think you do win in June. I think you win with your preparation. And if I was younger, I’d probably handle him myself. … It’s fun to ruffle some feathers. I have no problem doing that.”

Monday night, Oct. 12. the Jets play at Miami in a heated battle that should be indicative of many AFC games this year...

No comments: