Tuesday, February 16, 2010

More on the facebook and free speech case from my last post...

Thinking more about the case in my last post... I couldn't help but compare the judges decision with prior decisions regarding comments from employees regarding employers that turned out drastically different. Several precedent cases have allowed employers to fire employees for comments made on social networking sites. That seems to be different here in this case when a student from a public school was involved. I know the case hasn't been decided yet, but the preliminary ruling by the judge seems to favor the broad umbrella of free speech and the student.

This makes me question what the different between these two cases might be??? One of the things that I think it is might be the public school versus private employer setting, giving the private employer more control of its employers...... Any thoughts???

No comments: